Re: YouHosting Community | New Board | Ideas and Suggestions Thread

I think we should just create another board for the remaining community so we can still keep in contact but we don't have to post here anymore since it's just pointless to do so.

YouHosting was just in the beginning of slush-land when I joined this community which was one of the best communities I ever visited and posted on since you were always happy outside of YH dilemma and gave feedback for everyone etc. it's good, I don't need to lose it to everyone leaving and that's why there should be a new board open to us.

Hosters.cc - THE NEW YOUHOSTING COMMUNITY

101Gamers (shameless back linking)

Luigi442wii wrote:

I think we should just create another board for the remaining community so we can still keep in contact but we don't have to post here anymore since it's just pointless to do so.

YouHosting was just in the beginning of slush-land when I joined this community which was one of the best communities I ever visited and posted on since you were always happy outside of YH dilemma and gave feedback for everyone etc. it's good, I don't need to lose it to everyone leaving and that's why there should be a new board open to us.

Here you go: forum.hosting24.pw

3 (edited by rubenmdh 2016-02-16 13:36:22)

I can create a forum on youhosting.ml, but I think it would be useless atm.

Cheers.

I'm back!

Shoot me a PM if you have any question!

Just a heads up - since Hosting24.pw has been renamed to SwirlyHost.info, the forum has been moved to forum.swirlyhost.info

Just a note, if we are going to move to a different forum, we need to make sure it will stick around. So not just a dead company forum or someone who has a tendency to abandon projects after a few months. Most people here can setup a forum in a few hours, but not everyone can dedicate time and money to keep it online.

Join the new community at Hosters.cc
I don't work for YouHosting and I'm not a ticket system for free users. Support related PM's will not be answered.
Community FAQ - Forum Rules - Host your site on an different host

Hans wrote:

Just a note, if we are going to move to a different forum, we need to make sure it will stick around. So not just a dead company forum or someone who has a tendency to abandon projects after a few months. Most people here can setup a forum in a few hours, but not everyone can dedicate time and money to keep it online.

Agreed but I feel we need to start a community because am still learning a lot from you guys. I haven't great contribution in this forum but will try my level best to be active on new community.

Topic: YouHosting Community | New Board | Ideas and Suggestions Thread

I've previously expressed that I wish to move away from this forum as have many others done so in the past, however instead of a traditional abandoning of the ship, I want to take the remaining community with it.

This, in other terms, means 'move to a new forum and move current discussions there while starting new ones'. YouHosting itself is of course dead and never going to be revived by the current outlook, so it makes little sense to leave this forum active in its current state, and with people leaving by the day, it's not exactly worthwhile discussing everything in Off-Topic.

I think a board about both computer support and software/web development would be the main scope judging by this community's interests, along with areas for web hosting talk, which would probably cover everything we'd need to talk about besides general discussion.

For the software, either phpBB or MyBB should do good, I already have experience using both of them, although other than this thread, I shall have nothing to do with this board other than being a normal user, since normally people who put me on their staff team are on an illegal drug overdose of very high quantities.

I might make a basic theme for the website if it happens to be phpBB, unfortunately my web design ideas look terrible to say it in polite terms, they look like they are from when IE 6 was released - very old and outdated, so you might not want me to do anything like that.

Currently there is no name, logo, or other things to take into consideration other than these few simple suggestions, if anyone has an idea, then post it, please. Thank you for your co-operation.

-Jamie D.

You can discuss ideas and suggestions in the YouHosting Community thread in Off-Topic, which took me a few hours to post because of the Pun Bot.
I think it should be a technology support + software development community running either phpBB or MyBB.
Thanks.

I own a forum which has been online for almost 3 years - Worldy5.biz, so yes, i can maintain a forum.

Luigi442wii wrote:

normally people who put me on their staff team are on an illegal drug overdose of very high quantities.

That sounds like a very interesting story!

But beyond that, I agree with the need for a custom board. We have a fairly active community here so a forum for YouHosting refugees could work and there are plenty of people here who agree on the need. We just need someone to sponsor the hosting and domains and the time to keep everything running (preferably without a strong commercial motivation). Things like design, names and logos can be community efforts.

I don't work for YouHosting and I'm not a ticket system for free users. Support related PM's will not be answered.

11 (edited by NikoCodey 2016-02-17 14:29:08)

Hello there!
You can always join my forum forum.swirlyhost.info, we don't plan on shutting down anytime soon.
Please give me ideas for more sections and i'll be more than glad to add them.
Thank you.

12 (edited by KnownSyntax 2016-02-17 14:34:58)

If you need help with setting any of the software up let me know. In terms for community software that would provide the most benefit you can look at the few most popular, but open sourced, forum systems out there and review what they bring to the table.

Like you stated MyBB, phpBB, SMF (depending on WHICH version as the current beta has a very nice redesign), or those that have a similar Google Discussion vibe such as Vanilla or esoTalk/Flarum.

I wouldn't focus too much on the design/style of them, since you can easily take any theme and make massive edits on it to change it around fully. Wouldn't take much time, only images (if required) and/or a predefined ideal on how you want it to look and feel like.

As noted with your previous post, implementing an IRC client inside one of these forum softwares is also fairly easy and can be done without any issues. MyBB has a plugin that can be edited to use mibbit as the client, and phpBB we can just make a custom page to call the require functions and client.

FreshAquaria - Freshwater Discussion and Knowledgebase

If you guys are interested, i'm planning on adding a forum to my already established web hosting directory. It will have similar categories to these forums and the FreeWebHostingTalk's forums; the first of which is active but unsupported and the latter of which is inactive but supported.

I dislike the classic forum software. They don't really meet up with common web standards. Discourse for example is a great example of how a great design can lead to a great community. My second favorite is a forum software is Flarum, it was recommend to me by a member of this community. Its still in beta but it looks like it has some high hopes.

We have moved the community http://hosters.cc. I'll still pop in on here to see how things are going.

domkalan wrote:

I dislike the classic forum software. They don't really meet up with common web standards. Discourse for example is a great example of how a great design can lead to a great community. My second favorite is a forum software is Flarum, it was recommend to me by a member of this community. Its still in beta but it looks like it has some high hopes.

I just set up a Flarum installation at http://freewebhostingdirectory.org/forum/

If you guys are interested, i'll keep your updated.

@Hans, it's a joke because the only people who put me on their staff team are pretty naive creators who make sites for little purposes other than for existence. Also the only time I'm aggressive with my moderation is when I see certain types of posts, I'm normally highly tolerant of anything else.

@domkalan Personally I think the traditional forum softwares are better because I can find my way around them easier, maybe we should have a vote on what we want.

@NikoCodey I see your point there.

@eindustries To be fair, what I said above, Flarum does look nice enough and looks functional. It seems like a good concept we could use (hosting/tech/development forums works well and since yours isn't specific to a host then it's probably going to be useful)

Remember this can be more than web hosting related stuff like I said in the original post, even general technology and development of things works.

Thanks for taking an interest!

I've also been thinking on that. If most people are okay with it, I could create the new community. I have both the time and resources to manage it, the only matter would be if people are okay with me being the one creating it. If enough people from here join, I could even buy a paid forum software, but again, it depends if you all agree.

Previously Tavoid.
Shall you ever need help, don't hesitate to PM me.
Important: I DO NOT represent YouHosting or Hostinger in this forum. I'm just a moderator in here.

What paid solutions can you recommend? Personally I like IP.Board but others prefer vBulletin or XenForo among other ones. If we're all dedicated to our small community picking up across the world it would make sense to use a paid solution.
Or perhaps we start on a free platform and move to paid later on.
I wouldn't mind anyone hosting the board though as long as it isn't on YouHosting platform or someone puts a JavaScript to simulate it big_smile

Luigi442wii wrote:

What paid solutions can you recommend? Personally I like IP.Board but others prefer vBulletin or XenForo among other ones. If we're all dedicated to our small community picking up across the world it would make sense to use a paid solution.

I've personally always loved IP.Board big_smile, but XenForo or vBulletin are also nice options, depends on what the majority preffers.

Now that I think of it, it would be amazing to have our own community hosted by one of us! Those little things people suggest (like img on signatures, more BBCode, etc.) could now actually be implemented without going through all the bureaucracy we had to endure in here. Also, we wouldn't have to deal with the old piece of software that PunBB is anymore.

Luigi442wii wrote:

Yeah, I think that would probably be the best course of action.

I think I'll sticky this thread.

Previously Tavoid.
Shall you ever need help, don't hesitate to PM me.
Important: I DO NOT represent YouHosting or Hostinger in this forum. I'm just a moderator in here.

Thanks for the sticky smile

www.youtech101.com is a good domain which hasn't been registered, so we have a name already.

if using a subdomain is ok,I can do that,i can keep it up for at least 10 years
any reply?

It's great to see how many people are willing to cooperate and contribute!

As for the forum software, I agree mostly with domkalan. With a smaller community, you don't need a huge forum suite built for thousands of posts a day. You don't need strict categorization if people are going to check almost all categories anyways.

What I do think is that you should pick a forum suite and try to stick with it. Commercial forum software isn't that different from open source software and migrating users and posts from any forum to another is a disaster.

hosters.cc/hosters.me?

24 (edited by Luigi442wii 2016-02-18 03:52:31)

@Hans I've sort of integrated myself into this community since I started posting more here. To be fair, I can see your point once more people explain it. Flarum in itself is actually quite a nice software, I really must admit that.
What I'm talking about is plans if the site gets more activity and users than it does at the beginning, reaching out to several hundred users or more, starting small is always a good idea, although I have to agree it is hard to migrate since you lose some data and such, things can get corrupted, etc.

@Eric Long time no see! I prefer YouTech101 since no one has taken that domain, but Hosters.cc could stand for Hosters' Community Camp or something like that, if we go for a .cc domain name.

Also, I forgot to greet you, eindustries for coming back to the community after seeing this thread, I hope more people see it and return. It proves people are visiting but not logging in.

@NikoCodey: I've been managing communities for 2 years (since April 2014), I can moderate pretty well although I have a very high tolerance for some things such as post quality, especially if I see the post has some sort of meaning to it even if it's really short.

@htc2014 I don't understand what you're saying, but you can normally use a subdomain until the subdomain doesn't exist anymore, I do and always will recommend FreeDNS subdomains like uk.to, is.my, 4h.lt, ko.tl and others (I use is.my on my personal site and the latter are new subdomains), since you don't need to provide any personal info to sign up to the service, support is quite good and set-up is easy.

Speaking of Free DNS, I want to be able to access a folder on my Mac from home, are there any free clients compatible with Afraid Free DNS? Thanks.