Topic: What is your website made of?

Are there still people in this era using software to make website? What about yours? Is it static html, php, cms powered (like I do)? I don't know why you still could use adobe page maker while the technology of web design is beyond bootstrap, html5, css3, font-awesome and name them. Recently I was ashamed when presenting a sample website I did in 2012 to a client, only for him to point out it has no taste. What is your take?

(Almost) Free cPanel Reseller hosting:

http://goo.gl/VWzhSC for only $1.99/mo.

Re: What is your website made of?

Are there still people in this era using software to make website?

Without an editor at least you cant create any type of homepage.

Is it static html, php, cms powered (like I do)?

My projects are mostly powered off of own CMSs! For such a pupose I mainly use Simfony (PHP Framework) in combination with Boostrap, FA, JQuery and ofc pure HTML, CSS and JS. Sometimes I decide to use Node.JS aswell. Depends on the project.

Ruby is also a great lang. which startups often use since its fairly easy. I dont like it though but thats only a personal preference.

Team3 Webhosting - All rights reserved!
FREE individual homepages at Team3!
Try it today: Click here

I use Bootstrap and JQuery for most of my projects. The CMS is either Drupal or Worpdress depending on what the goal of the site is. To most people that are new to building WordPress themes I would start off with https://roots.io.

We have moved the community http://hosters.cc. I'll still pop in on here to see how things are going.

Am sorry, I must have sounded that i know what am doing than the rest; in contrary, am still a noob. I need your help.

Well since I am WordPress developer, I use WP CMS of course, whenever I can... anyway in other situations I use only Notepad ++ and xampp ...it means I do it manually. Last time I used Dreamweaver ...it was many, many years ago ...

All for Webmasters - Webmasters for all!

Host4Ya wrote:

I did not mean a text editor.

I prefer to code my websites myself because for fairly static websites, you can customize a lot more things than you can with a CMS. I currently use a lot of micro frameworks to put stuff together (like Lumen on my main site and Silex on YouDesigner). Converting plain HTML to your own code is way easier than converting it to a CMS theme because there are a lot more variables when working with a CMS. Also, performance can be a lot better.

Host4Ya wrote:

Ruby is also a great lang. which startups often use since its fairly easy. I dont like it though but thats only a personal preference.

I started to learn Ruby (on Rails) a few weeks back and don't think it's easy at all. The syntax of Ruby is just so strange if you've most done PHP, JS and Java.

Join the new community at Hosters.cc
I don't work for YouHosting and I'm not a ticket system for free users. Support related PM's will not be answered.
Community FAQ - Forum Rules - Host your site on an different host

I will begin my Computer Science classes in January. I hope I will be in a position to come up with my own things...

Minda wrote:
Host4Ya wrote:

Even if you choose to use software like Dreamweaver, yo u still must be familiar with HTML, CSS, JS ... the only way to create a website and not to know all of this is to use CMS like Joomla or WordPress ...even then you are limited to offered options and if you want something more original or special you would have to hire professionals.

10 (edited by Fhk 2015-09-29 15:01:56)

lucky73 wrote:
Minda wrote:
Host4Ya wrote:

Even if you choose to use software like Dreamweaver, yo u still must be familiar with HTML, CSS, JS ... the only way to create a website and not to know all of this is to use CMS like Joomla or WordPress ...even then you are limited to offered options and if you want something more original or special you would have to hire professionals.

*********Edited, typo***********

I am using Joomla!, not because I want to do it without using css,html etc.... Actually you need to understand how different frameworks work in Joomla! for example gantry, yii, etc. You need to understand bootstrap, css, html, js and php to use extensions. Some extensions can be incompatible, you have to know what you are supposed to do in such cases. Yes, again, there are some people (I hope not here) who want to run web hosting but do not even know how to write text in bold.

This is how I take it. Using software for creating pages is like using a windows computer, you get to know nothing! Using CMS is like introducing somebody to linux - with GUI but writing from scratch is like logging in to MSDOS in text mode. A newbie cannot do anything there.

Back to CMC. I usually take CMS as an OS on my machine. If somebody installs new OS on system and tells you here you go, there is little you can do with it! You cannot go online - you need web browser, modem drivers, and dial-up settings. You cannot play music - first you need the music itself and a program to play it.

Some people (maybe) sign up for free YH, go find clients and [the client] uploads website. When there is a problem on server, he does not know what it is - for example FTP like now - and the client asks the problem, he says he will solve in 5 minutes. He then googles "FTP not connecting" and gets the answer to restart ftpd daemon or uninstall latest program installed that may be listening port 21, or reconfigure server for ftp to listen a different port or restart whole system if he cannot get it to work. Last solution, uninstall the web server and install afresh.
The person comes to the forum and posts "How do I restart ftpd daemon on client website?" expecting to help his client in 5 minutes!

Sorry, I am not referring to anybody, I had been thinking aloud!

Well, don't get me wrong I am Web and Graphic designer and WordPres developer for many years. First I was using Joomla a lot, but few years ago I dropped it and focused as a developer  to WordPress only,  because it is more suitable for most of the users who creates websites like personal presentations, blogs ...Joomla is more complex and more suitable for Companies, Internet portals, News...and generally more demanding websites. Joomla also is not too suitable for shared Hosting plans ...it takes too many resources.
Gantry has excellent framework for WP also, but there is even better one written for WP only, like Genesis ...
I was only trying to be helpful, we can not know if someone is experienced or not in Web Design generally...

12 (edited by Host4Ya 2015-09-30 01:33:54)

Since he said he wants to learn it, here are a couple of clues:

- Don't freak out programming takes time
- IDEs: Speaking of these... programming can be expencive if you do it on a professional basis
... List going on.

I've been a web developer for 4 years now and im working on a professional basis since around 1 year. I can tell you that there is no easy way to learn programming. Please just dont fall back into "WYSIWYG" editors. These are bad practise but you may be using these in your classes aswell... The process of learning takes time as I already said. Be sure you got time and pations to deal with programming.

Team3 Webhosting - All rights reserved!
FREE individual homepages at Team3!
Try it today: Click here

Host4Ya wrote:

Since he said he wants to learn it, here are a couple of clues:

- Don't freak out programming takes time
- IDEs: Speaking of these... programming can be expencive if you do it on a professional basis
... List going on.

I've been a web developer for 4 years now and im working on a professional basis since around 1 year. I can tell you that there is no easy way to learn programming. Please just dont fall back into "WYSIWYG" editors. These are bad practise but you may be using these in your classes aswell... The process of learning takes time as I already said. Be sure you got time and pations to deal with programming.

Thanks for good advice. I will be careful when I start.

14 (edited by ddeveloper 2015-09-30 07:10:59)

I use Notepad++ and Xampp all the time. It takes less time to create templates from scratch than creating and integrating into some CMS.
While creating your own templates/scripts you can go step by step which includes less chance of missing things. On the other hand, creating templates for CMS involves arbitrary customization and the end result will always have some bugs.

Let the world know what you are capable of...
[Make today so awesome that yesterday gets jealous]

That is right, it is a bit tedious to create theme for cms from scratch. Static templates are good for fast load, easily customizable and adaptive etc. BTW working with cms themes has this side effect  - if you customize another theme , i.e. not made by you, including plugins, you have to create overrides - lest you lose ALL your changes on next upgrade. I have not known ho to do it in WP (though I do not use it often) but Joomla! is easy.

I used to use Notepad++ but Microsoft's Visual Studio Code and GitHub's Atom chnaged my view on coding. If I remember correctly VSC has auto complete with most standard languages which helps me spit things out faster.

We have moved the community http://hosters.cc. I'll still pop in on here to see how things are going.

domkalan wrote:

I used to use Notepad++ but Microsoft's Visual Studio Code and GitHub's Atom chnaged my view on coding. If I remember correctly VSC has auto complete with most standard languages which helps me spit things out faster.

Same reason I mostly use JetBrains IDEs now (PhpStorm, RubyMine, IntelliJ). The software really thinks ahead.

Join the new community at Hosters.cc
I don't work for YouHosting and I'm not a ticket system for free users. Support related PM's will not be answered.
Community FAQ - Forum Rules - Host your site on an different host

I have never heard of JetBrains but I will take a look st it when I get a chance. The one thing that makes atom amazing is its hackable to the core. Its got an addon system making it easy to add support for languages that it dosent come with.