http://kdliker.com

Re: [SUGGESTION] Add "Remote MySql"

Explain what you mean...

u wot m8?
New Forum!

Makan wrote:

Explain what you mean...

Remote MySQL connection are not allowed as it can be misused into applications.
This is a known issue with NON-PAID hostings.
You are not permitted to run a host as a backup server using a free service [free hosting]
this can also be done using Remote MySQL Connections.

This will not be allowed and probably never will be.
Don't expect any good free host to support it.

Many paid hosts disallow remote MySQL as well. Why? Because the database servers are configured for a low constant load, not burst of someone sending or retrieving large amounts of data at once. Offering Remote MySQL either takes really good configuration combined with plenty of spare server power, or simply carelessness. Seeing how the former isn't realistic with a non-overnight host and the latter isn't desirable, forget about it.

Join the new community at Hosters.cc
I don't work for YouHosting and I'm not a ticket system for free users. Support related PM's will not be answered.
Community FAQ - Forum Rules - Host your site on an different host

Hans wrote:

Many paid hosts disallow remote MySQL as well. Why? Because the database servers are configured for a low constant load, not burst of someone sending or retrieving large amounts of data at once. Offering Remote MySQL either takes really good configuration combined with plenty of spare server power, or simply carelessness. Seeing how the former isn't realistic with a non-overnight host and the latter isn't desirable, forget about it.

Not only that the security is getting way back as well.
maybe not the security of the servers but from YH Clients....

What if a youhosting client creates an application in c# or VB.net (as this is most likely used for such things to make a databased chat application).

They are easily crackable and boom all his customers/members information is on the street.

Remote MySQL is an application in the cPanel to allow MySQL connections from other servers. This will allow an different server to connect to the database of your server.
Unfortunately, there hasn't been an update for the cPanel since 2012, and i don't think they will add it.

NikoCodey wrote:

Remote MySQL is an application in the cPanel to allow MySQL connections from other servers. This will allow an different server to connect to the database of your server.
Unfortunately, there hasn't been an update for the cPanel since 2012, and i don't think they will add it.

This thread was lasted replied to in 2014. Please avoid unfreezing these kinds of threads.

(I'm not backseat moderating; just getting a bit ticked about these free posts.)

Lewis wrote:
NikoCodey wrote:

This thread was lasted replied to in 2014. Please avoid unfreezing these kinds of threads.

(I'm not backseat moderating; just getting a bit ticked about these free posts.)

Sorry, i didn't pay attention...

Remote mysql wont be added since it will give rise to security issues.

seshawit wrote:

Remote mysql wont be added since it will give rise to security issues.

Not sure what security issues you are talking about; it's not much different compared to connecting from localhost, just more bandwidth usage and more latency.

Forum resources: Rules | FAQ | ISP Issues | Free VIP | Language Packs | API | Themes

Harry wrote:

Not sure what security issues you are talking about; it's not much different compared to connecting from localhost, just more bandwidth usage and more latency.

Well, don't forget that SQL connections normally don't have any encryption on them. Exposing database ports could also introduce risks like brute forcing or DoS on the database server.

Still, the primary decision factor is more along the lines of a) we don't want people to query excessively and by restricting access to hosted account and phpMyAdmin, they can't hook up their own apps hosted elsewhere or b) to give users a reason to upgrade.

Join the new community at Hosters.cc
I don't work for YouHosting and I'm not a ticket system for free users. Support related PM's will not be answered.
Community FAQ - Forum Rules - Host your site on an different host

it sure will be the target of abusif people
as people mentioned above it hurts more than it helps

if suggestions were accepted, pigs can fly

especially if they were implemented using the latest hardware