Topic: A better alternate to YH

It seems like YH is not coming back to life. So if any old YH user is still here, I'd like to know what alternative did you use?
I'm still getting many signups on my website but I'd like to know if there is some other alternative?
I know MOFH. If I switch to it, to what extent will the customer base and profits be affected.
Regards.

Let the world know what you are capable of...
[Make today so awesome that yesterday gets jealous]

Re: A better alternate to YH

From what I have seen the service seems to be operational again. FTP is working again and new sign ups also seem to be working.

We have moved the community http://hosters.cc. I'll still pop in on here to see how things are going.

domkalan wrote:

From what I have seen the service seems to be operational again. FTP is working again and new sign ups also seem to be working.

O yes. But it is working only on some servers. Server 10's ftp is still down along with file manager.

I used MOFH a while ago. Its so bad.

are you willing to invest in a reseller package?
i think hosting24 had some good life time promotions

I've switched to MyOwnFreeHost after the signups closed last January and the only thing I regret is not doing so earlier.

MyOwnFreeHost's servers are very reliable (99.9% uptime is common) and fast. Their system is riddled with iFastNet ads and they provide less monetization options than YouHosting. With MyOwnFreeHost, you can only set control panel ads and website ads, whereas with YouHosting you could also set custom error page redirections among other things (although many of those have already been broken in some way).

They do allow you to add your own iFastNet affiliate code to the control panel, but they don't include the affiliate code to most links (as far as I can see) and where they do, they only pay a measly 5% commission (compared to 50% on Hosting24, for example).

On the bright side, this means that MyOwnFreeHost is beneficial to iFastNet as well. That means they are motivated to keep it going and not abandon it like you-know-who did.

Also, moving customers is completely impossible. All you can do is ask them to move. And expect to lose all but your most loyal users in the process. Still, if you had a good stream of new customers, that will probably carry over.

So in short, your revenue and customer base will take a big hit, but you will be able to rebuild on a stronger base.

Join the new community at Hosters.cc
I don't work for YouHosting and I'm not a ticket system for free users. Support related PM's will not be answered.
Community FAQ - Forum Rules - Host your site on an different host

Their reseller panel is a little confusing to use.

Volunteer admin at 000webhost.com
http://OngETC.com - http://uHostETC.com

I use my own reseller system and i offer free reseller hosting, so if you people do not like Byet(MOFH) then send me a PM and i can give you a free reseller with WHM.

Could just get a VPS or even let alone a reseller account from another hosting company and not really give out so many free accounts and instead give out premium accounts for a cost that is effective and will draw users inward.

FreshAquaria - Freshwater Discussion and Knowledgebase

if it is "free hosting reseller" you are talking, there are some alternative like byethost, resellercluster etc

but if you also want the whole system similar to YH, no there isn't any..unfortunately

I was expecting that YH would get investor because their system looked promising. But here we are ...

Selling your website Free Domain Classifieds.
Domain parking alternative ? Free MinisiteS

Hans wrote:

I've switched to MyOwnFreeHost after the signups closed last January and the only thing I regret is not doing so earlier.

MyOwnFreeHost's servers are very reliable (99.9% uptime is common) and fast. Their system is riddled with iFastNet ads and they provide less monetization options than YouHosting. With MyOwnFreeHost, you can only set control panel ads and website ads, whereas with YouHosting you could also set custom error page redirections among other things (although many of those have already been broken in some way).

They do allow you to add your own iFastNet affiliate code to the control panel, but they don't include the affiliate code to most links (as far as I can see) and where they do, they only pay a measly 5% commission (compared to 50% on Hosting24, for example).

On the bright side, this means that MyOwnFreeHost is beneficial to iFastNet as well. That means they are motivated to keep it going and not abandon it like you-know-who did.

Also, moving customers is completely impossible. All you can do is ask them to move. And expect to lose all but your most loyal users in the process. Still, if you had a good stream of new customers, that will probably carry over.

So in short, your revenue and customer base will take a big hit, but you will be able to rebuild on a stronger base.

Well, I think that satisfies me to some extent and it'll enable me to create a long term project. I tried to find the premium upgrade for reseller hosting but I see only Free Plan in 'Plans'. I need to know the price of upgraded reseller plan.

whereas with YouHosting you could also set custom error page redirections among other things (although many of those have already been broken in some way).

Actually you can do most this on MOFH, you can set a default .htaccess file that is deployed to hosting accounts on registering in here you can set your own error pages / redirects for error codes (I think 503 is their code for cpu, however it doesnt get displayed often ! ) .   Only thing of note is it is deployed at that point in time so cant then be changed later, so best to get it right first time.

Webhost wrote:

Actually you can do most this on MOFH, you can set a default .htaccess file that is deployed to hosting accounts on registering in here you can set your own error pages / redirects for error codes (I think 503 is their code for cpu, however it doesnt get displayed often ! ) .   Only thing of note is it is deployed at that point in time so cant then be changed later, so best to get it right first time.

Yes I also read that on MOFH website. I wonder if it is actually possible.

To what extent is MOFH customizable? If anyone is still active on this forum!

There is no alternative to YouHosting because it was ACE in it... Unfortunately there is single option you get which is MOFH

ddeveloper wrote:

To what extent is MOFH customizable? If anyone is still active on this forum!

My advice is to try it out yourself as its free.
If you only have 1 domain name then set it up under subdomain "uk.mydomain.com".
Then if you like it, its very easy to add a 2nd domain to it and change over to the new domain name.

Pros
It Free
Uptimes are better than YH - but page speed is the same or slower for the US people.
(MOFH servers are located in the UK)
(YouHosting Servers are in Asheville, NC US)

Cons
very limited resources available ie #of email account, databases, forwarders allowed
Not able to retain complete control of DNS after you switch Name Servers to MOFH

below is a partial traceroute to their cluster

10   108 ms   110 ms   110 ms  ae-2-5.bear1.Manchesteruk2.Level3.net [4.69.159.101]
11   110 ms   109 ms   110 ms  WILDCARD-UK.bear1.Manchesteruk2.Level3.net [195.50.121.134]
12   227 ms   146 ms   220 ms  v504.cr-4.rel.ncl.wildcard.net.uk [31.22.6.25]
13   112 ms   111 ms   112 ms  23013427185.ifastnet.org [185.27.134.230]

17 (edited by ddeveloper 2016-08-19 05:15:15)

bcgt wrote:

My advice is to try it out yourself as its free.
If you only have 1 domain name then set it up under subdomain "uk.mydomain.com".
Then if you like it, its very easy to add a 2nd domain to it and change over to the new domain name.

Pros
It Free
Uptimes are better than YH - but page speed is the same or slower for the US people.
(MOFH servers are located in the UK)
(YouHosting Servers are in Asheville, NC US)

Cons
very limited resources available ie #of email account, databases, forwarders allowed
Not able to retain complete control of DNS after you switch Name Servers to MOFH

below is a partial traceroute to their cluster

10   108 ms   110 ms   110 ms  ae-2-5.bear1.Manchesteruk2.Level3.net [4.69.159.101]
11   110 ms   109 ms   110 ms  WILDCARD-UK.bear1.Manchesteruk2.Level3.net [195.50.121.134]
12   227 ms   146 ms   220 ms  v504.cr-4.rel.ncl.wildcard.net.uk [31.22.6.25]
13   112 ms   111 ms   112 ms  23013427185.ifastnet.org [185.27.134.230]

I got MOFH reseller account activated and I'm getting confused in customizing pages related to registration. Scripts directly run from secure signups. It looks a total mess when a user creates account on your hosting.
Moreover, there is no way your clients can choose from a list of domains to create subdomain which is really bad for your main website's reputation..

Webhost wrote:

You can set some error pages through the .htaccess customizations, but realistically most error traffic is going to be from account suspension and unused domains, and those show ads from iFastNet and cannot be customized.

ddeveloper wrote:

I got MOFH reseller account activated and I'm getting confused in customizing pages related to registration. Scripts directly run from secure signups. It looks a total mess when a user creates account on your hosting.
Moreover, there is no way your clients can choose from a list of domains to create subdomain which is really bad for your main website's reputation..

They implement a part of the WHM API. Using that solves all those problems.

Join the new community at Hosters.cc
I don't work for YouHosting and I'm not a ticket system for free users. Support related PM's will not be answered.
Community FAQ - Forum Rules - Host your site on an different host

MOFH is getting worst day by day but their WHMCS API is good for white leveling as hans said