Topic: SSL Certificates

you should also make it possible to use ssl certificates.

Re: SSL Certificates

On your main site? If so then it could be possible to move to another host and then add the SSL there.

On cPanel. It isn't possible. The servers are shared and you need a dedicated IP to really add an SSL. So they would have to get a dedicated IP First on their systems to users.

u wot m8?
New Forum!

I know that Hostinger added SSL certificates in December 2014, maybe that's what he means.
We'll have to see if he will stick around this site for more than a day first.

Hosters.cc - THE NEW YOUHOSTING COMMUNITY

101Gamers (shameless back linking)

Makan wrote:

On cPanel. It isn't possible. The servers are shared and you need a dedicated IP to really add an SSL. So they would have to get a dedicated IP First on their systems to users.

No, they don't. Every browser more modern than IE6 supports SSL on shared IPs. However, if the control panel works like I think it does, there are some more technical challenges to overcome. More specifically: which certificate do you load when a request comes in.

Join the new community at Hosters.cc
I don't work for YouHosting and I'm not a ticket system for free users. Support related PM's will not be answered.
Community FAQ - Forum Rules - Host your site on an different host

Makan wrote:

On your main site? If so then it could be possible to move to another host and then add the SSL there.

Shared SSL certainly is possible with cPanel and has been enabled for a few versions now. Were you not selling cPanel hosting from your old boxcwebsite before it failed?
Youhosting could implement SNI just as cPanel, Interworx and the others did. Even the free panels have it. Of course it means some work for them but it didn't magically appear for the other guys either, lol.

|| N01B4ME ||
|| Never stop innovation || Don't be one of many, Be one of one ||
CYBER-SQUATTER = SCUMBAG

6 (edited by Lewis 2015-06-01 10:55:57)

blackienl wrote:

Of course it means some work for them

= they probably won't.

blackienl wrote:

Shared SSL certainly is possible with cPanel and has been enabled for a few versions now. Were you not selling cPanel hosting from your old boxcwebsite before it failed?
Youhosting could implement SNI just as cPanel, Interworx and the others did. Even the free panels have it. Of course it means some work for them but it didn't magically appear for the other guys either, lol.

On websites, yes. On the actual cPanel login, no. Hostinger Premium/Business proves it's possible. However, I doubt it will be enabled considering SSL has an overhead which could cripple the already overloaded servers.

I don't work for YouHosting and I'm not a ticket system for free users. Support related PM's will not be answered.

you can always use your ssl with the account hosted on a server outside yh
hans has a tutorial showing this
just try to follow the tutorial then use cloudflare to test as they provide free ssl i think

blackienl wrote:
Makan wrote:

No no. Like I am saying on users not using new browsers. wink I actually was using an SSL on a shared IP Before.

The only issue is that YouHosting would not really care to put time into adding this is what I am trying to say. hmm

u wot m8?
New Forum!

Hans wrote:
Makan wrote:

No, they don't. Every browser more modern than IE6 supports SSL on shared IPs. However, if the control panel works like I think it does, there are some more technical challenges to overcome. More specifically: which certificate do you load when a request comes in.

I agree with Hans.Cloudflare is already very easy to implement this feature, it is called SNI.Youhosting should make practical action, DirectAdmin already has this feature, YH should learn to refer to it.

IceFreeHost Go!

Luigi442wii wrote:

I know that Hostinger added SSL certificates in December 2014, maybe that's what he means.
We'll have to see if he will stick around this site for more than a day first.

I'm afraid we need to wait until we go to the grave to open the page. The YH server is heavily overloaded, and it needs a bigger cost if you install SSL at youhosting.

IceFreeHost Go!

ice_in wrote:

I agree with Hans.Cloudflare is already very easy to implement this feature, it is called SNI.Youhosting should make practical action, DirectAdmin already has this feature, YH should learn to refer to it.

If only it were so easy...

The thing is, if I were to make a control panel where one application is used on many domains, I would simply have one vhost for the IP catch all requests and determine which account it is related to in my application.

The problem is, you need to do the SSL handshake before the request is setup and the application has started. So, the web server needs to know which certificate to load by itself. Which, on a SaaS solution, is easier said than done.

And "but Cloudflare did it too" isn't a valid excuse. Cloudflare is a big company whose main line of business more or less is about doing things like that. Also, I didn't say it was impossible, but it is a major technical challenge.

Heck, even ResellerClub doesn't have SSL on their control panel and they are a lot bigger too.