Topic: Small TOS change

Since the beginning of February we started to notice a higher load all on servers, some instability for MySQL servers, actions taking longer time to execute (stuck on 50%-75% for few hours). Once we started investigation we found that some clients launched a specific software against our severs and created thousandths of client profiles with different resellers, each holding hundreds of accounts (number is increasing every day). On these accounts they launched websites to promote Amazon products.

Each of such website installed Wordpress "blog" which is actually nothing but spam site.
Here is some examples how it looks:
http://i.imgur.com/Kek1hLL.png
http://i.imgur.com/E570asG.png

We believe that these users are using captcha killer services to automatically create new accounts and singup with resellers. In future we plan to send verification SMS messages for all suspicious client registrations. This should guarantee a safer and spam/phishing free service for all youhosting users.

We are now cleaning up all servers and suspending all these spam accounts. After cleanup server load and service stability should back to normal.

Please update your TOS and add this line:
- Amazon affiliate websites are not allowed

YouHosting - A new Generation of Reseller Hosting!
Check out Knowledge Base, get status updates on @YouhostingLive and check our Blog.
http://www.youhosting.com

2 (edited by fvsegarra 2013-03-10 14:34:38)

Re: Small TOS change

Bytheway,
still waiting for the next real change log with this last month updates & upgrades,
everything seems to be 'sad' in here.. (no client live support, stucked servers, spam..)

Hope things get back to normal after removing these spam sites.

Cam Shots - Showcase of professional photographers and videographers.
Free Open Articles - Get unique articles updated daily.
Mobile Shots - A site for your unique mobile shots.

Well i noticed today that my website was almost not offline.

The whole day it was loading normal and working much faster.

Thnxx YH for this info hope you get fast of those spammers!

my users have some spam accounts i should delete them or YH will delete them?

Mehdi Tamaddon wrote:

Today I removed myself .

Mehdi Tamaddon wrote:

I think if they have stomething with Amazon then YH will delete them for sure if you dont.

Mehdi Tamaddon wrote:

That's waste of time as they will change ip, change email, change everything that you can imagine and register again smile

Phone number verification with SMS is the only solution against spammers/phishers and other bad guys we can imagine. Even Gmail is not require phone number verification so we believe we run on good way too.

Check out Knowledge Base, get status updates on @YouhostingLive and check our Blog.

@admin:
It means that my users should send you sms for registration ?
but maybe in some countries it will make problem!for example some times iran limits sending/receiving sms from US and some other countries! 
please help IRANIANS too.we have lots of retracts.
thank you admin.

Please, do ask for phone verification.
It is indeed a good way to avoid further spammers (just like at the (still not running) vps.me)

I checked all the accounts at thankfully did not find any vrednonosnyh sites.So far I have 128 clients .And when there are more ?I have no idea how to catch pests.

Yes i also received these amazon people signing up around 50 accounts a day. I managed to clean them out and  since i am suspending them they moved to another host. However i also do not agree on ms verification due to country related problems. However the only solution is to provide additional captcha’s for example 5 for suspicious people to reduce or stop them from recreating accounts.

This is absolutely amazing news!

SMS verification is the only way to fight against them i think.

if SMS verification help to offer a better service to our LEGIT customers then will be more than welcome

just improve captcha ....

the problem with YH server is tragic, i will support anything that can help to solve that problem

even to block again the high risk countries and even the visitors from high risk countries.
i know is unfair but we have to keep the servers alive.

if YH continue as is now, with problems for our clients all the time, soon we will have so bad name in the market (already have bad name between the hosting webmasters) that none will trust us for host his website

Totally agree;
controled and limited free reseller hosting = best paid reseller

ace wrote:

the problem with YH server is tragic, i will support anything that can help to solve that problem

even to block again the high risk countries and even the visitors from high risk countries.
i know is unfair but we have to keep the servers alive.

if YH continue as is now, with problems for our clients all the time, soon we will have so bad name in the market (already have bad name between the hosting webmasters) that none will trust us for host his website

It will surprise you to know that some or most of these spammers are not from high risk countries.
Introducing the sms verification will replace the high risk country blocking and even do a better job than that. In that case, each person's identity will be permanently stored in the database and decrease the rate of spam accounts.

As much as inconvenient this might be for some, I still think it's worth the try know.

@ace:
Why YH does not use phone verification?on the phone tell us some numbers then we should write them in the website.(like Gmail)
as i know sms makes lots of problems ! now when i send sms to UK 50% of times it will be failed ! and in 50% of times it after 24 hours! and for US will be worse than UK!

Mehdi Tamaddon wrote:

@ace:
Why YH does not use phone verification?on the phone tell us some numbers then we should write them in the website.(like Gmail)
as i know sms makes lots of problems ! now when i send sms to UK 50% of times it will be failed ! and in 50% of times it after 24 hours! and for US will be worse than UK!

how can i know why ???
im not in YH team, im a reseller just like you.

Now none of our clients (high risk or not) are happy with our services, we offer to all a bad service.
I prefer to lose some clients from high risk countries if this help to have all the other happy.

Mehdi Tamaddon wrote:

@ace:

It will be sent to something like 5-10% of clients.
Generally we will not request phone verification for users that signup first time from specific IP address or using unique email.

Most spammers signup from the same IP multiple times or use the same email address to signup with different resellers.